By Thomas A. Cook, Rennie Alston and Kelly Raia
Here is the definitive guide to supply chain management in the post-9/11 world, intensively researched and painstakingly written by one of the leading experts in the field.
Before the terrorist attacks that destroyed New York’s World Trade Center in 2001, managing the import/export supply chain was "complicated, convoluted, and difficult" enough, as Tom Cook observes. Since then, new security and compliance requirements have come into play. Some of these mandates are still evolving, and some pose special challenges for smaller exporters. To remain competitive, companies of all sizes must understand the changes, anticipate new directions, and keep the costs of compliance and security in balance. This book provides the timely and practical information necessary to meet those goals.
As a supply chain professional or executive involved in global trade, you can rely on Mastering Import and Export Management to help you:
• Identify the risks.
Learn to use creative financing as a marketing tool...spot potential exposures in new markets...avoid the major pitfalls of international freight shipments.
Gain entry into world markets.
• Determine how your products and services can best compete globally...structure an effective export program...understand key distribution logistics and foreign tax considerations.
• Meet sales and service demands.
Recognize the factors involved in global customer service...negotiate problems the right way...leverage the benefits of third-party logistics...apply quality control procedures...control the terms of sale.
• Deal with freight and logistics issues.
Reduce costs...negotiate better rates...get the best service contracts...assess the value of using consolidators.
•Handle specialty issues.
Learn the ins and outs of shipping equipment overseas for temporary use...ship perishable freight safely...evaluate air versus ocean shipping ... deal with strikes...observe key practices if you’re in the entertainment or communications industry.
• Finesse your documentation.
Utilize INCO terms correctly...avoid documentation obstacles...navigate the demands of the Harmonize Tariff Schedule of the U.S. (HTSUS), Bureau of Export Administration (BXA), Federal Maritime Commission (FMC), Automated Export System (AES)...learn when and how to use the SED.
• Learn about importing if you export only.
Be prepared to handle returns and repairs...select the right customhouse broker...get familiar with "drawback."
• Become finance-savvy.
Identify banking and credit options...manage letters of credit.
• Control cargo loss.
Learn the science and art of properly packing for transit...minimize losses in transporting bulk liquids, pulp, and paper...understand the variables of containerization, sea, and air shipping.
• Manage risk.
Insure against physical, political, and credit risk...learn the liability basics...get more from your marine insurance...be aware of recently beefed-up air regulations.
• Leverage technology.
Automate key documentation...track and trace more accurately...know what to expect from your EDI carrier.
• Understand geographic demands.
Familiarize yourself with the idiosyncrasies of doing business under NAFTA and in the European Community, Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, Russia, Mexico, and Brazil.
• Deploy global staff cost-effectively.
Develop networking channels...understand the landed cost...attract quality personnel.
• Obtain export assistance.
Make the most of such resources as Chambers of Commerce, state governments, world trade centers, commercial banks, and others.
• Gain the benefits of duty-free work areas.
Explore the possibilities inherent in free trade zones (FTZs) and custom bonded warehouses.
More than 200 pages of sample forms, tariff schedules, and other vital materials enhance this invaluable and authoritative volume. If you are running an import and/or export operation of any scale, you can’t afford to be without it.
|About the Author|
Thomas A. Cook is an advisor or board member for many companies in the global trade arena. His 30-year career includes considerable experience in international manufacturing, insurance, trade finance, and global military supply chain logistics. He has taught at the World Trade Institute of Pace University, and led numerous seminars for the American Management Association. The author of The Ultimate Guide to Export Management (AMACOM), Mr. Cook has also written more than 200 articles on international trade. He is based in Massapequa, New York.
- User rating: 0/5 ·
- By Thomas A. A. Cook ·
- Hardcover ·
- 0 reviewsIn this resource for supply chain professionals Cook, who has worked in international manufacturing, insurance, trade finance, and military supply chain logistics, attempts to ...Mastering Import and Export Management - General AAS - Books - Exports & ImportsThe last two years have seen drastic changes in the import/export arena, due to a combination of world developments, economic changes, and technological advances. Mastering Import ...www.hdtvpricelist.com/8923646541_AMACOM-low-price-Mastering-Import-and-Export-Management.htmlHardcover: 608 s Publisher: Amacom; Har/Cdr edition (1 Aug 2004) Language English ISBN-10: 0814472036 ISBN-13: 978-0814472033 Product Dimensions: 25.7 x 18.3 x 5.1 cm ..."""Not since 9/11 has a book covered all the old and new supply chain import/export management issues, and offered an array of cost-effective options in bringing ...This means that you are responsible for mastering the knowledge and skills ... VLC Course Description & Introduction www.VLCglobal.com/support Import and Export Management (IEM) ...Import/Export Compliance & Audit Management ... reference handouts, and a copy of Mastering Import/Export Management ...... you and your company to become serious about import/export compliance and global security management ... handouts, and a copy of Mastering Import/Export Management ...
- User rating: 4.3/5 ·
- Mastering Import and Export Management. by Thomas A. Cook ... rules, laws, regulations, and customs, even seasoned export/import ...
- User rating: 7.1/10 ·
- Drama ·
- 141 minA nurse from the Ukraine searches for a better life in the West, while an unemployed security guard from Austria heads East for the same reason.Mastering Import and Export Management ... This book presents cost-effective methods for running an import and/or export ...Mastering Import and Export Management by Thomas A. Cook $57.37: International Logistics by Donald F. Wood $56.43: Doing Business in Emerging Markets: Entry a...Import/Export Administration ... Business/Strategic Management (0)Mastering Import & Export Management. Thomas Cook, Rennie Alston, Kelly Raia. MN 658.84 C773M 2004. Start Your Own Import/Export Business: Your Step-by ...Book: Mastering Import and Export Management (Kelly Raia)Mastering Import and Export Management by Thomas A. Cook, Rennie Alston, Kelly Raia. AMACOM, Jul 2004. US$85.00. Mastering the Merger: Four Critical Decisions That Make or Break the ...